Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hooded Duck Blanket FINALLY Done!


Yes, I'm happy to report I'm finally done with the Hooded Duck Blanket. I used the pattern by Susan Backus Starr.

I initially had a bit of difficulty with this, as the pattern says to knit until you have 150 stitches and then decrease. If you do that, you don't end up with a 35" square. I got gauge, so that wasn't the issue. I ended up adding some extra rows to get the blanket up to 35" - I had enough yarn. I also decided to frog what I'd done so far at that point, as I wasn't wild about how the blanket was looking, doing bar increases. It was causing the sides to tighten up too much. I just did the backyard yarnovers (a la Elizabeth Zimmerman) instead, which worked out beautifully.

I'm happy to report the recipient was thrilled with the final product. I've been telling a fib for months now...I led her to believe that I was knitting this for a coworker. It worked, because she had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA until she opened her present at the shower this past weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Your duck blanket is adorable! My kids are all grown now, but I'm someday I'll be a grandmother. I can't wait to start making those cute things again. Maybe I'll just start now, and save them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you on Ravelry. I always did wish I knew how to knit. This is the cutest blanket !

    **Yolie

    ReplyDelete