Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Walks like a duck...

I'm knitting a dear friend a baby blanket...

I could base an entire post on the fact that I'm getting rather alarmed by the fact that so MANY of my friends and acquaintances appear to be warming little buns in the oven. In my case, seeing as I bat for the other team, it would have to be the immaculate conception to come even close to emulating them, but it's alarming all the same! LOL...

That being neither here nor there, I'm making the Hooded Duck Blanket by Susan Backus Starr. This is what it's ultimately going to look like:




This is how far I've gotten so far:



In fine honored tradition, I've already frogged it completely once, due to not liking how the increases were looking. Using a bar increase was causing the edges to pull in, which made the entire blanket pucker horribly. I decided instead to use the Elizabeth Zimmermann method of increasing (the backwards loop), which looks much nicer.

As you can see, while the ending parts are going to be fun - the alternating color I-cord edging, the ducky hood, the tassel, the bill - the main part of this blanket is a major snooze. I've been knitting row upon row upon ROW of ENDLESS garter stitch. I've been doing a lot of KIP-ing (knitting-in-public), knitting in front of the TV, knitting while listening to NPR podcasts, and knitting at my SnB group. If I thought I could knit and walk the treadmill at the same time, I'd do that, too - anything to relieve the mind-numbing boredom. My only consolations are that a) I love the look and feel of garter stitch, and b) this should be adorable when it's finished.

Now, if I could only think up other things to do while knitting before I slip into a coma...zzzzzzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment