Monday, August 2, 2010

Amigurumi - Who, me???

Those who know me well know I'm not one to follow the herd. I'm probably the only person left on the North American continent who has not read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or whatever the book is called, because I just can't bring myself to read what everyone else is reading. I refuse to knit a shrug, on account of I just don't GET shrugs--they look like you couldn't quite afford the whole sweater. Ditto for capri pants, and don't get me started on those weird shoes with no backs...

Having said this, I've had a change heart about one craze...the Amigurumi mania currently sweeping the knitting/crocheting world. You can't cruise a website, peruse a catalogue, or darken the doors of a LYS without running into patterns for or people busily knitting/crocheting cute little stuffed creatures. I've seen patterns for snakes, dragons, dogs, cats, bunny rabbits, teddy bears (I haven't seen one for an iguana yet, but it's only a matter of time). I had previously SWORN up and down that I would NEVER make one of those things because, for one, it's just not practical. I'm mainly a sweater maniac. Knitting sweaters is fun, challenging, and new clothes all at the same time. If something doesn't have a useful purpose, I'm just not interested.

For another thing...well, I hate to admit this, but our house is overrun with cute little stuffed critters. We have this sickness where every time we're anywhere--on vacation, in the drug store, at the supermarket for God's sake--we're instantly drawn to the stuffed animal display and are just COMPELLED to add yet another addition to our already large inanimate family. If this were cats, the Board of Health would have been here by now. I'm just praying that the local facility my mother would have called "The Happy Hatch" doesn't get wind of us...It's gotten so out of control that at this juncture, we have declared a moratorium on any more purchases that could possibly be a playmate for "The Bandit Bear."

Okay, where was I? Oh, yes, I found an Ami critter that was too cute to pass up:



He's the Lion Brand "City Mouse Toy" from the knit patterns on their site. Is he, or is he not the cutest little fellow you've ever seen? The beautiful thing is that I got a killer deal on the yarn at Michael's Arts and Crafts (out-of-control stash-building is another topic best saved for another time). I'm rationalizing this by swearing that I'm going to make him as a present for someone else...that is, unless The Bandit Bear takes a shine to him...

No comments:

Post a Comment