Saturday, January 21, 2012

Carrying the Message...of the Yarn!

I think my teaching skills are improving...slightly...

I've always admired people who are teachers, as I'm one of those people who doesn't have a lot of patience. I dread it when they want me to instruct someone at work. I sit there grinding my teeth as the person tries again and again to do whatever the task is. I fight the urge to say "Screw it!" and to do the thing myself instead.

Lately, I've had a few instances where people have wanted to learn...I'm going to say the ways of the yarn here, because in the first instance I thought I was going to be giving someone a knitting lesson, but she showed up in the cafeteria at work with crochet hooks. This first attempt at instruction was sort of a bust, as I think I whizzed through chaining a bit too fast for her. We ran out of time, and I ended up just giving her a link to one of those crochet sites online where you can see videos of different stitches.

The other day, I got another chance. My partner has a good friend who used to...now again, my partner wasn't sure if the woman used to knit or crochet, so I was in suspense until she showed up at our door. Sure enough, it was going to be another crochet lesson! This time, I tried to go a little slower. She caught on very quickly, though. I kind of went a little crazy and tried to teach her how to double crochet, but we both decided she should stick with single crochet for now. By the time she left the house, she was well on her way to making a nice sc afghan.

So, I feel a little better now, and I've managed make yet another convert! Do I get that toaster oven now???



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment